Friday, March 4, 2011

Nana's Pigs in a Blanket ...p47

Perhaps to you, pigs in a blanket conjure up "Pigpen" from Peanuts...or little teeny sausages swaddled in biscuits, but that's not what I see.  I see a full kitchen table, populated with my lovely family - think the 1960s (yes, there was still a semblance of family in that decade - not everyone was drinking the Kool-Aid, and many of us didn't camp out at Woodstock, but on the family farms...in our dresses and pearls).
Think mom in her cigarette pants, hair done up in a bun, dad coming home from a hard day's work, and "cabbage rolls" waiting to be dished up on nine empty plates.  Happy times.

Simple ingredients.  Cabbage, beef (not pork as the name infers), rice and tomato sauce.
Mix beef, onions, egg, s&p together

Parboil a head of cabbage

Place beef mixture on leaf, fold sides over and roll up

I make any extra beef into meatballs

Cover with tomato sauce and extra leaves, then bake!
I've assembled pigs in a blanket countless times just by remembering what mom did, but this time I followed her recipe, and wished I was doing it in cigarette pants. 

I'm sure you know nana's opinion without even clicking on "recipe."  We all agree, these are wonderful. 

Hardy Appetit!
PIGS IN A BLANKET

Parboil one head of cabbage, remove large leaves and set aside.  
Mix: 
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked rice
salt & pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg
Cover with:
1 can tomato sauce

Mix togeether in bowl, scoop by tablespoon onto cabbage leaf.  Roll up leaf with filling inside and place face down in casserole dish.  Pour 1 can tomato sauce over top of cabbe rolls.  Lay remaining cabbage leaves over top and cover with foil.  Bake at 375° for 40 min.  Take foil off and bake for an additional 10 min.  
You can add extra sauce or place tomatoes over top while cooking if you want it juicier.

1 comment:

  1. How I love this recipe! First time I made them they were dry and the rice still hard!! My first meal made for my in-laws. Embarrassing! I've since mastered ut but they are never as good as Momma's!!!

    ReplyDelete