Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ashton's Cornbread Dinner ...p45

Admittedly, I have been suckered by "boxed" dinners occasionally and, in reading this recipe, it reminded me of one of my favorites from many plenty years ago.  My mother-in-law used to make it - boxed Taco Casserole; she would fancify it (is that a word?) by using her self-made chunky Mexican-style clay rectangular dish that was a favorite of all of ours.  Our taste buds were just awakening to flavors across the border, but this was a first adapted into American convenience foods....Topped with avocado chunks, salsa and sour cream, we were transported to the Long Bar in days of old....

But back to cornbread dinner.  No chips included in this recipe, but cornbread does a nice job of serving as the foundation.  Perhaps this is more Tex-Mex, esp. since it calls for picante sauce instead of salsa.  What defines Tex-Mex?  Let me know!  I do know that I cooked it a bit too long and it was dryer than I would have liked.  But overall, the family loved this quick and easy meal. 


The casserole in the foreground is Ashton's Cornbread Dinner, the middle is Poblano Corn Pudding - check out my next blog for Nana's reaction to that one!

Hardy Appetit!


ASHTON'S CORNBREAD DINNER

2 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning
3/4 cup water
Colby-Jack (or cheddar) cheese, grated
Sour cream, guacamole, picante (optional)

Cook ground beef and drain.  Add taco seasoning and water and let simmer.  Prepare cornbread mix as directed.  Bake cornbread in round or square baking dish at 400∘for 1/2 the cooking time.  Remove from oven and layer taco meat & cheese; bake for remaining time.  Serve with optional ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this one too and John loved it and so did I! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete