Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lemon Pudding Cake ...p94

So when trips to Galveston, the Kemah Boardwalk, and NASA didn't send her over the moon, we tried to lure her to stay by creating the most amazing bar-b-q steak, bleu cheese, healthy potato skins (incidentally the first recipe from the cookbook to be made twice due to its yum!) dinner, topped off with Lemon Pudding Cake.

Unfortunately, surprisingly delicious as it was, even the subtle zing of lemon couldn't persuade her to remain in the great state of Texas.  Now we have all lost our zing.....

Lemon Pudding Cake seemed the perfect light dessert to finish off such a heavy meal, but I must admit I was surprised when I made it.  The egg whites beaten stiff and folded into the flour mixture made me anticipate a uniform texture throughout, but the title is apropos: the mixture separates into a light cake on top and a lemony pudding on the bottom. 


As an added subtle sweetener, we heated up Jenn's Spruce Tip Jelly with added wild blackberries to spoon on top.  For you chemists, why did the blackberries turn red when heated? 

My family thinks my cooking up Gene-E Recipes is going to my head as they are starting to hear the eerie mmmmm's of Rachel Ray escaping from my mouth.  In sincere flattery to you Rachel Ray (and the recipe contributer!), we agree that "my hubby is gonna love it," and yours might too!

Hardy Appetit!
LEMON PUDDING CAKE

3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon peel, grated
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
dash salt

Grease 1-qt. casserole.  Beat egg yolks, reserving whites.  Blend in milk, lemon juice and peel.  Add sugar, flour, salt and beat until smooth.  Beat reserved egg whites to stiff peaks.  Fold in yolk mixture.  Pour into pan.  Set pan into 9" x 13" water-lined dish.  Bake at 350° for 25-35 min. or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! That sounds so good! I think I might make this right now. I have too much of a sweet tooth lately.

    ReplyDelete