Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yellow Cake with Nana's Caramel Frosting ...p92

Nana's hard caramel frosting stirs up memories of gulping down leftover chili served over macaroni noodles to get to the "main course" - dessert.  On the farm, you had to eat quick and declare dessert war to reserve your own slice of palate heaven.

I'd like to hear from Bob on this one because I remember he particularly loved this cake.  Here, too,  I think I would have liked it better if someone else (like Nana?) had cooked it.  From the instructions, I wasn't sure how long to beat the frosting - how thick is thick, whether to beat it while heating; whether to use dark brown sugar, or light.  I remember her frosting would crack when you tried to slice it; mine didn't, so I was disappointed thinking maybe the molasses in dark brown sugar kept the frosting too moist, or maybe the humidity in this part of the country kept it soft.  Not sure - if anyone else has made this particular Caramel frosting and it turned out crisp, let me know.

That being said, what's not to like about the combo of brown sugar and cake?

Hardy Appetit!

YELLOW CAKE WITH NANA'S CARAMEL FROSTING
Grandma Alma

1 box yellow cake mix prepared in an 8" x 10" pan

Frosting:
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar

Melt in pan, bring to boil till bubbly.  Beat with beater until it gets real thick.  Spoon out and spread on top of cake.  Frosting should harden.

1 comment:

  1. Mom, everything looks SO good! Maybe you didn't cook the frosting long enough? Maybe it needs to reach a certain stage before it can get hard? Like making candy? I just heard something on NPR's "Splendid Table" about this. Maybe you can stream that episode? It was neat!

    ReplyDelete