Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chicken Fricassee and Dumplings ...p58

Does any of my generation remember Grandma Alma's Chicken Fricassee and Dumplings dish?  I remember as a child, disdaining the chicken left on the bones and having to pick it apart while I ate.  Now, of course, I love this bit of authenticity - this extra flavor to the stew.  This Hungarian dish made me realize the dull flavor of my customary chicken and dumplings recipes that use only boneless white meat, and reverted me back to the days of my youth where there was a whole chicken in every pot, skin, bones and all.


Jon thought the dumplings were the best he'd ever tasted and I dare say, the critic concurred.

Hardy Appetit!

CHICKEN FRICASSEE AND DUMPLINGS
a Hungarian recipe

YUM!
1 fryer chicken, cut
2 cups chicken broth or water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 T flour

Brown chicken in a small amont of oil in a large pot.  Drain oil and add all ingredients except flour.  Cover and simmer 40-45 min.  Thicken broth with flour and 1 T. cold water paste.  Drop dumplings by 2 T onto chicken pieces.  Cover and simmer 10 min.  Test with toothpick.

Dumplings:
Combine 2 cups sifted flour, 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. salt.  Cut in 2 T butter.  Add 2 T chopped parsley and 2 T green onion  tops chopped fine.  With fork, beat 2 eggs with 1/4 cup milk.  Stir into first mixture to blend, adding more milk if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment