Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cucumber Salad ...p32

Just recently my husband asked if I knew that a person can live on cucumbers.  I know that they are refreshing to eat and use cosmetically....I'm not certain about all the nutrients they contain, and I won't go into that as I did with broccoli, but the facts are out there.  Cucumbers are very good for you.  Optimally, eat the whole thing - peel, pulp and seeds for the most benefit - but if you ARE going to eat the skin, be sure to buy organic.  Evidently, organic means the wax is non-synthetic and free from chemical contaminants.  

The critic loves cucumbers - perhaps one of the reasons she has lived a long, reasonably healthy life.  Mom's preference though is to have them sliced and soaked in vinegar and salt, just the way her dad just to like them.  I wish I could keep a bowl going in the fridge all the time, but they're likely to be gobbled up in one sitting.  

Seedless English cucumber
Begs you to bite down on this hydrating wonder!
This recipe calls for soaking in sour cream as well as the vinegar, and while there is no mention of letting them sit for any length of time in the refrigerator, they are better after sitting a few hours  or overnight in the refrigerator.  The critic thinks cucumbers served this way are YUM.  I only used one very long seedless cucumber without reducing the amount of sour cream - which I think should have been done - or you be sure to use 3 large cucumbers or 2 English cucumbers.  I love the addition of the white onions in this recipe - nice flavoring.
 
Hardy Appetit!


CUCUMBER SALAD

3 peeled, sliced cucumbers 
(I used 1 English cucumber, unpeeled)
1 pint sour cream 
2 T vinegar
1 tsp. salt & pepper
1/2 diced white onion
Mix well and refrigerate before serving. 






No comments:

Post a Comment