Monday, October 24, 2011

Perfect Pie Crust ...p89

Perfecting pie crust is no easy task, but the critic mastered this years ago. 

One day after 9/11, a stroke severely limited the use of the left side of her body, and I thought she'd never make pies again.  Not so.  It is now one of my greatest joys to watch her toss the dough and determine the point at which it is just the right consistency to roll out.  She uses her hands and what a delight it is to see her use both her hands; her brain doesn't instruct her to use her left, so we've dubbed it "Mr. Lonely," in order to isolate those instructions.  "Tell Mr. Lonely to hold the bowl."  And he does, but he must be told.  She refuses to use a fork like I do to toss the dough, insisting her fingers tell her when it is just right, "that's your problem making dough - you're afraid to touch it!" and I am - I've always heard you don't touch the dough.  But hers is the golden touch and every crust she makes is delectable and flaky.  She says the secret is she doesn't "press" the dough, she just tosses it. 

The recipe was contributed by my sister, who runs a very close second to my mom in pie-crust making! So this Perfect Pie Crust was my attempt to, well, make it perfect. 

And it was excellent, no doubt, but I still prefer my mama's no measure, touch technique! 


















Hardy Appetit!

PERFECT PIE CRUST

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
4 T ice water

Combine flour, shortening and salt.   Sprinkle with water 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly.  Work into a firm ball.  Makes 8"-9" double crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment