Friday, July 23, 2010

Caesar Salad ...p30

The critic herself entered this recipe into Cooking Up Family History.  I remember considering this a treat as salads did not often deviate from the standard iceberg, carrot, celery, and green pepper in our household.  Nana doesn't remember visiting Caesar's restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico, when we were neighbors living in Tustin, CA, though Caesar Cardini allegedly invented the salad there back in the 1920's.  Read Julia Childs' account here.  My hubby and I ate there on Avenido Revolucion enjoying the tableside preparation of this salad, after downing multiple shots of tequila at the equally famous Long Bar where the drinking age was a mere 18.  Tijuana was a wild place then, even wilder now I hear.  


Nana's recipe varies from Caesar's in that the romaine is torn up in preparation, rather than left whole.  


Hardy Appetit!

CAESAR SALAD


Toast 2 slices bread, cut into cubes, then sauté in 1/8 lb. butter and garlic salt to taste.  In small jar, shake 1 egg briskly.  In another jar, mix 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 shakes Worcestershire sauce, 1 clove chopped garlic, 3/4 cup salad oil.  Add egg to jar.  Add 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, salt & pepper to taste.  Toss over romaine lettuce.  Top with croutons and black pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I just made fresh Caesar salad for the first time a few weeks ago. I never saw this recipe, which looks a lot easier! I used anchovies in mine. I liked it but it was too garlicky, if that is possible.

    ReplyDelete