Thursday, February 17, 2011

ITALIAN BEEF ...p42

Well imagine my disappointment when the critic thumbed her nose at my very favorite company recipe that I made for our special Valentines dinner!  Perhaps this is due to the fact that I did not make it in the microwave as called for, nor did I use a clay pot (which, if you have one, is definitely my preferred method.  My broken clay pot now houses flowers in my garden...) but chose to slow cook it all day in the oven.  I did find the meat not quite as tender - which was not expected. Perhaps I just got a particularly tough cut of rump roast. 

Here's a little teaching moment:  My husband and I always struggle with cutting a roast - we know that you should cut across the grain, but we always debate the direction of the grain.  On a rump roast, it's pretty easy to see, so I thought I'd show you new chefs.















The chunk of beef (LT) shows the grain (long fibers) running parallel to the cutting board. 
-----------------------------------
The picture below shows the actual slice.  Notice there are no long fibers, just irregularly shaped cells.  If when you slice, you see long cells, you know you've cut with the grain as opposed to against.  Does it make a difference?  Yes, it does.  Chewing through the long fibers is difficult - cutting against the grain breaks these fibers down into tender bites.  













It's too bad that these little fibers were indeed still too tough for the critic.  The pictures above are depicting the slicing that takes place prior to the beef's second cooking called for in the recipe. The only redeeming factor was that the men in my life devoured it, commenting how delicious it was.  Were they just being polite?  Though I did find it different from times past, I still found it yummy as well. 

So, you try it - and be sure to register your comments here!  Should you decide to try, please take note that the recipe in the actual book has a critical error - the onions, green peppers, and mushrooms are NOT cooked 45 minutes in the microwave or you'll find these tough as leather...this should read 4 to 5 minutes.  As well, you should use 1/2 cup hot pepper rings.

Hardy Appetit! 

ITALIAN BEEF

6-8 servings

1 T olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 3-4 pound beef rump roast
3/4 cup dry red wine

1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 4-oz can mushrooms, drained
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1 10 1/2 oz can beef broth
2 T tomato paste
1/2 cup Italian hot pepper rings


Combine oil and garlic in pre-soaked 4 quart clay pot (or I've successfully used a 9" x 13" pan, covered with microwaveable saran wrap, or if slow cooking in the oven, my cast iron dutch oven).  Cook on high 1-2 minutes.  Add roast, turning to coat well.  Pour 1/4 cup wine around bottom of roast.  Cook on Med-Hi (70% power) until probe registers 145°F, about 45 minutes).  Remove meat from pot.  Cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes.

Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, bay leaves and salt to drippings in pot and cook on Hi 4 - 5 min.  Stir in broth, remaining 1/2 cup wine, tomato paste and hot peppers.  Slice beef very thin and return to pot.  Cover and cook on Med (50% power) about 1 hour.  Serve immediately.  Can be served over egg noodles or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment