Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Baked Orange Roughy ...p51

I'll tell you what, I don't miss the West Coast "nuts" (okay my friends, you know I'm kidding), but I sure do miss its fish.  You'd think fresh fish would be plentiful here on the gulf coast, but my little town has little to offer in that category without an hour long foray.  I am so jealous of my Alaska family!  Send me some salmon, will ya?

"Orange Roughy" is a strange name for a fish, conjuring up images of a rough textured bully, so I found it interesting Wiki reading that it is the largest member of the "slimehead" family.....  Not quite the same visual.  I also felt bad for eating this poor fish as it can actually live to be 149 years old.  Tricia, with her usual blunt questioning, asked, "now how do they KNOW that?"  Sheez, they've obviously been tagging them for that long, eh?

In all seriousness, this recipe brought oohs and aahs from the family and yet was so simple to make.  I even found the fish - fresh - close to home and very reasonably priced.
 



Delicate and mild, this white fish melts in your mouth.  Creamed spinach, saffron rice and fresh asparagus added a nice variety to the meal. 

Hardy Appetit!













BAKED ORANGE ROUGHY
-serves 4

1/4 c fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 c real mayonnaise
2 T green onions, minced
1 lb. Orange Roughy fillets (fresh, or, if frozen, thawed and patted dry)


In a shallow baking dish, mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and pepper  In small bowl, mix mayonnaise and green onions.  Brush both sides of fillets with mayo and onions.  Coast with crumbs, Arrange fish in single layer in shallow ungreased baking dish.  Tuck thin ends under to even out thickness.  Bake at 425 deg. for 10-15 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment