Friday, February 12, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Casserole ...p57

What's in my freezer?  Chicken.  What's in my fridge?  Tortillas.  Typical Texan (no, no, no - I hear ya!  Beef!)

Either way, I found a recipe for which I had all the ingredients WITHOUT going to the store. 
I must admit I have made this recipe a gazillion times - it's truly an old standby in our house, but a worthy favorite.  It's relatively quick, easy, feeds a crowd, but is yummy.  IMHO.  Check out the recipe for Nana's (INHO).

Changes I made?  Corn tortillas - mixed opinions in our house.  Some like corn, others flour.  I do like to pour a bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan before adding the first layer though, as sometimes I've had the bottom layer tough.  I have never let it "marinate" overnight and omitted this step again.....so perhaps that is my real problem with the bottom layer?  Whatcha think, Kimber? No doubt the kitty wanted some........

My daughters informed me that my favorite local antique store was closing down and everything was marked way down; so, between the daily activities, we managed to run down there where I scored a cute copper heart mold for $2.00.  It was a nice touch to my valentine theme.

Hardy Appetit!








CHICKEN ENCHILADAS  

1 Onion, chopped
1 T butter
1 can green chilies, chopped
1 small can evaporated milk
3/4 c chicken stock
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 boned and cooked chicken*
flour (or corn) tortillas
Cheddar cheese

Sautee chopped onion in butter.  Add chopped green chilies, milk, chicken stock, soups and chicken.  Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.  Place 3 soft tortillas on bottom of a
9 x 13 pan (or enough to cover).  Pour sauce over top.  Layer with cheese.  Repeat alternating layers of tortillas, saud and cheese, ending with cheese.  Prepared dish should marinate overnight.  Cook at 325 deg. for 40 min.
*Swift Whole Canned Chicken can be used as a shortcut

1 comment:

  1. Hey mom. I made these with fish (halibut) once and they were super yummy. I substituted the cream of mushroom soup with cream cheese and added black olives. :)

    ReplyDelete