Friday, February 19, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Crunch ...p111

There in my cabinet loomed a large can of pumpkin yet unused from Thanksgiving.  This was the motivation I needed to make an almost unheard of treat in our home barring the holidays - dessert.

Except for slicing two sticks of butter


and chopping pecans with my favorite Uli knife,


this was a very simple "cake" to make - much like a dump cake (a term that causes my kids to squirm and question what the heck the ingredients are, while I pray that Nana doesn't mutter her favorite word during our exchange!)




But, of course, why would she with this wonderful variation on the pumpkin theme - pie or cake, whatever you call it, it's a rich, delightful dessert that will feed a crowd.

 
  

Not sure why - maybe my oven's off, or maybe the humidity was too high, but the 50 min. of cooking I anticipated turned into 1 hr. 30 min before my knife came out clean.....  Make it ahead if you don't wanna keep them waiting ;-) 

Hardy Appetit!


PUMPKIN PIE CRUNCH
1 can evaporated milk
1 large can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
4  eggs
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans
2 sticks butter

Mix first five ingredients and pour into greased 9" x 13" pan.  Sprinkle cake mix over.  Sprinkle pecans over.  Thinly slice butter and spread over.  Bake at 350 deg. for 50 min. or until knife comes out clean. 

Serve with whipped cream.

*Note:  Do not skimp on the butter as that is what activates the cake mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment